The member representing Ogoja in the Cross River State house of assembly, Peter Odey , has reiterated his commitment to the promotion of good governance and first class legislative framework .
Odey , who os serving his second tenure ,made the commitment in a statement as he celebrates one year in office as a leader of the state assembly.
The Lawmaker who thanked the people of Ogoja for the opportunity to serve, expressed hope that the Ogoja people will one day achieve self reliance.
See full text of statement.
- One year ago, the good and dynamic people of Ogoja LGA graciously gave me their mandate for a second term of four (4) years. To the glory of God, we have not disappointed our people as we have continued to project the Ogoja people in the scheme of things in the state.
- My dear people, sending me to the House for a second term was divinely orchestrated as I got an exalted position as Leader of the 9th Cross River Legislative Assembly. This is in no small measure, a repose of confidence by my colleagues who believe in my vibrancy and legislative prowess in adding value to the House and the Cross River People at large.
- In one year, steering the ship as Leader of the House, under the maverick leadership of my friend, brother and Speaker, Rt. Hon. Eteng Jones Williams, we have passed into Law at least 20 bills, and motions including the Cross River Appropriation Law for the year 2020 which was passed in December, 2020. This is a clear testament that the 9th Assembly which I am a member as Leader, means serious business in bringing dividends of democracy to the Cross River People.
- In one year, we have reignited hope, restored the lost glory of our people and brought governance to the grassroot through my open door policy of accessibility to our people and remaining steadfast to the mandate given to me to speak, legislate, protect, enhance, and promote our collective interest as a people in Ogoja and Cross River State.
- Over the last one year, I have done my possible best in ensuring that we tackle the many challenges experienced by our people through my bills and motions on the floor of the House. Recently, due to the suffering occasioned by the COVID-19, I distributed palliatives to our people, to ease out the sufferings brought by the pandemic. I am of the philosophy that “you give not because you have enough but because you care enough for the people “.
- I dream of a day where the poor people in Ishiborr, Nkum, Ekajuk, Mbube , Yala, Odukpani, Akamkpa, won’t have to work our their lives just to feed, but would be self reliant on themselves and able to survive without having to beg for bread. It is my desire to grow the Ogoja and Cross River People in any possible way I can. And by the Grace of God it is realizable.
- I have continued to carry out programs and discussions that affect our people directly. For me, I was not only sent to speak for our people, but to protect our lives, interest, and enhance and collective gains for the constant growth and development of our people.
- I am determined to continue to do my possible best in the discharge of my duties by promoting good governance and first class legislative framework and policies, so that our people can take ownership of their own enterprise by being accountable to the people all the time.
- Let me congratulate my colleagues for the smooth working relationship thus far. We have made tremendous progress in short a period of time for the interest of our state and people. And God willing, we won’t let the Cross River people down in anyway.
- I thank you for your infectious love, support and constant support always.
God bless !
Rt. Hon. Peter Odey